Mappit/GIS Developer Wiki
This wiki should help us keep track of the concepts developed so far and is also a base for discussion.
It should be checked and updated regularly by anyone who partakes in the developement of the website.
e4D related Developments
Rules for editing the Wiki
Please respect the following rules, should you ever edit anything in the Wiki:
- do not change something that you didn't create without asking the author. Adding new paragraphs/comments is ok, but should be marked with the authors name (e.g. "This should be reviewed in the next meeting --- Christopher")
- if a Wiki page becomes too long, try subdividing it into multiple pages by replacing large blocks of content by only an appropriate title and/or summary and linking to a new page with the full contents of the topic
- introductary texts and summaries are always nice and help readers find out what they can find on a page
- Usecases and User Scenarios
- Frontend (GUI)
- System Installation
- XML-GIS Integration
- User Rights Management
- Open Tasks
- ArcGis on Mac Installation
- Editing PostGreSQL
Application Material and Projects
- workspace - a workspace is a set of blocks chosen by the user in an order chosen by the user. A workspace can be given a name, it can be saved and restored.
- dependency - in this context, dependency of one object to another means that changes made to one of them can directly transfer to the other.
- Table - consists Table definition (number and labels of columns) and Table data. No dependencies to other Tables etc.
- View - a set of rules that combines multiple Tables into one (visually) Table-like structure. Directly dependend on Tables.
- mappable - every Table or View that contains or is associated with valid geographic data
- Compiled View - conversion of a view into a Table, thus becoming independent of the original tables.
- Published Table - a Table, that can only be viewed or used for Views, or deleted, but not changed. If it is necessary to have the possibility to change a published table anyway, maybe a versioning functionality could be included that allows to create successive versions of the same table.
- Blocks - the visual window-like units the workspaces will consist of. Every Table, View, Map etc. will be displayed in it's own block. A block has a Title Bar, Menu Bar and a Body
IT-related Definitions and Terms
- LIST defines a one-dimensional array of data
- TABLE defines a two-dimensional array of data with DATASETs as rows and ATTRIBUTEs as columns
- VIEW defines a view of a query. The view is not physically materialized. Instead, the query is run every time the view is referenced in a query.
- PRIMARY KEY is an unique identifier attribute for a dataset in a table and can be used to relate to a SECONDARY KEY attribute in another table.
User-related Definitions and Terms
MPIWG has its own GeoServer: http://geoserver.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/geoserver/index.html